[games_access] Game Accessibility Suite, and first prototype...

Michael Ellison devellison at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 05:29:50 EST 2008

Greetings,
    Just wanted to post a note if any of ya'll are interested... I've
started an open source project on SourceForge.net to create a suite of
utilities to make modern Win32 games more accessible.  Currently
trying to figure out a good way to do external captioning with Reid,
and I have a few other utility projects going at the moment.

I've finished my first prototype utility using the common libraries
I'm building up.  It is called GASThrottle, and should allow you to
slow down many modern games on Windows to 10%-90% speed.  I've tested
it with Doom 3 and Far Cry with great success, and others with mixed
results - e.g. it crashes BioShock ;( .  When I looked, I didn't find
much out there that did this for modern games that worked, although I
found a few that didn't and some that work *great* for old DOS games.

If there is already a free utility out there that does this well,
please tell me :)
Right now it's just a command line app, but if it looks useful to
people I'll eventually make it all nice and pretty.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas/suggestions on this or other utilities to
add to the suite, please email me or post in the project's
forums/tracker.

Download page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=212119&package_id=258851
Code Docs: http://gameaccess.sourceforge.net
Project URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gameaccess