[games_access] language thread, was The Human Controller

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Mon Jun 16 17:22:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

hey, Depeche Mode, now I got into nostalgic mode :)

Thanks for the links. I talked to Stig Becker who is Head of the
International Secretariat at SIAT (http://www.hi.se/templates/Page____132.aspx
) who agreed that the Handicap term is dated. He recommended the UN
site for definitions.

When googling I recalled the Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities, where the term handicap is not even mentioned
http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?navid=12&pid=150

but at another page, the WHO definition is present:
http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/diswpa01.htm

I also read at Wikipeda about accessibility, a good page, which
describes it as medical versus social contexts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility

OK, anyways, lucky me that I haven't used the handicap terminology in
my thesis, except for in the definition of terms part. So I'll just
insert a short description of this different definitions. Good to have
this sorted out, I thought I had it all worked out with the WHO
definition.

/Thomas