[games_access] one switch bejewelled

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sat Mar 1 13:55:32 EST 2008

Hello Eelke,

I'll second a lot of what Richard said. The "Rotate and Extend" method feels
much easier to play with, and is visually much clearer too. I would say that
the reactions speed required to stop the sweeping radar-like arm is faster
than the arrow speed. It would be great to have this evened out a little -
and of course to have the option via the menu to adjust the overall speed of
the game.

I liked it a lot - please send on my congratulations to your student. Be
great to see it turn into a finished game! (you knew I was going to say that
didn't you?).

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk

Hi Eelke,

Great experiment and glad to see the differences (in selecting the gem to
move - phase 1) and the similarities (in selecting the gem to both the
initially selected gem to - phase 2) of both solutions. Will send you the
statistics file later on.

In short: I immediately liked the second one better, because it felt more
natural and seemed to be a bit quicker (?). Also, I found the blue arrow
more clearer than the red selection bars in solution one (although this can
be fixed with graphic design of course). I could easily play the game with
both solutions, so both work very well in that respect. One suggestion you
might want toy around with: I find Bejewelled a simple kind of Puzzle Game
in which players (well, at least I) don't make many mistakes - you basically
scan where you see a possible move and when spotted, you execute that move.
So as long as you don't spot a possible move, you won't make a move. So with
the thought in mind that when the player finally makes a move he or she
already knows it CAN be made, you might want to add the option/feature that
the computer only selects those gems to move to (so phase 2) that are
possible. This will speed up the gameplay a lot I think and will not
interfere much with the game's challenge.
One other thing I just thought of: there is no solution yet for deselcting a
gem during phase 1 when you accidentally select the wrong gem. In the
original game, you simple click the gem again (I had it once while trying
you demo). You could try adding some kind of solution for this, for instance
a timer during phase 2 that deselects the gem after x amount of
non-activity.

Since I have some one-switch experiments laying around here as well
(one-switch tetris (two different interaction mechanisms), one switch
arkenoid (two different interaction mechanisms) and a one switch platform
game (only one interaction mechanisms)), maybe we can set up a spot
somewhere as a IGDA GASIG One Button Experiment Lab where we can add more
stuff like this and maybe get more people inspired?

Greets,

Richard