[games_access] Kotaku mentions Assistive Gaming website

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 5 20:47:48 EST 2008

It's a bit of a misleading article, as the assistive gaming site
doesn't seem to discuss issues that cannot be resolved through
controllers, etc (ie, issues that require game companies to make
changes to their games) and is also focused only on the mac (although
it looks like they are moving beyond that -- my guess is that it's
due to the small number of commercial games available for the mac
compared with the pc). Then again...wasn't it Kotaku (or at least a
member of Kotaku) who blasted the retro remakes accessibility award
just a few years ago? Perhaps this is a sign that they are beginning
to change their outlook for the better.

Just reminds me of how awareness is only the beginning of creating
change in the industry. Regardless, it's nice to see a site that is
focusing on the mac side of things and also the push toward building
awareness amongst the gaming community that may not think of
accessibility. As more people learn about gaming in different ways
perhaps it will add incentive for companies who are afraid that
adding in accessibility features will only "annoy" other gamers (add
that to the list of real reactions I've gotten from companies...).

Michelle