[games_access] SIG update!

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue May 20 17:34:35 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Instead I've been
fighting the IGDA along with a lot of other SIG chairs over their new
web system that will "do away" with this list in favor of a list that
goes with the new web system. The thing is? Every single person on
this list will have to individually sign up as users of this new
system before they can sign up for the list. Non-paying members will
have all access to our SIGs stuff (other SIGs have chosen this as
well) so it's not a payment issue. But the new system WILL NOT be
google-able (I think I just made that word up).

Another issue is that we will lose our list archives to date. Not
good. So many of us are having to save our archives to post on our
wikis, etc, etc, etc

Anyway, it's a VERY nasty battle at the moment and we HAVE to change
to this system. And, no, I have no clue what it even looks like yet
-- remember that system that was supposed to "roll out" last summer?
Well, it's now "next summer" only they intend to make this change
hyper fast.

Anyway, a few other SIG chairs and I are fighting to stay off the
system and it's taking up a lot of time. Being a part of the IGDA
gives us a lot of street cred with developers and we cannot lose
that. But as we know...a lot of our list members are not developers.
So we're fighting the good fight now. As I said, several other SIG
chairs are furious about this so we'll see where we go from here.
I'll keep you up to date as I learn more.

And as soon as I can, I will schedule online meetings for the summer
so we can reconnect using MSN and we can talk about our current
projects and our plans for the near and distant future (yes, that
includes the book!).

Don't worry -- we will still exist. That's not in jeopardy. It's just
this pain in the neck online system that we're trying to fight. And
do I know if it's accessible? No...as I said, I haven't even seen it
yet.

Sigh. Anyway...onward to bigger and better things and hopefully this
listserv stuff will go away because it's a REALLY bad idea to move
active lists in a non-automated way.

So let's get back to talking about game accessibility! :D