[games_access] questions about "blind hero"

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 12 06:05:14 EST 2008

>Hi Sandra,
>
>On 11/11/2008, Sandra Uhling <sandra_uhling at web.de> wrote:
>
>>  Yes. What did they say about these projects ?
>>   (Konami also has a guitar game: guitar freak)
>
>I got feedback from both companies. They were both very supportive.
>Red Octane send me some guitars.

Yeah, in no sense did I mean to say that (other than activision --
and that may be because I was responding to activision, which I
*think* is the parent company of Red Octane?) there hasn't been
support in the spirit of accessibility and now that I know that Red
Octane sent Eelke some guitars I feel better about that!! But so far
it's been in spirit versus action -- but there's always hope that
things will make it into the "next" version of the hardware and/or
they will host DIY info or point gamers with disabilities in the
direction of the people working on various projects like different
members of the SIG are.

Widespread change, I think, is going to come from companies who make
the full commitment to back one of these projects in the sense of
including it and/or manufacturing solutions on a wider scale. As of
now, most of these projects are very expensive because they are "home
grown" so to speak. A Quad Controller, for instance, can set you back
quite a bit because it's handmade.

According to years and years of advocating for this, the take away
message is that industry needs to see the numbers before investment
and that's a hard thing to track down -- if it were possible and
affordable, how many people with disabilities WOULD be gamers if they
COULD be gamers? We can make guesses but they aren't clean guesses
(ie we don't know if there were disabled gamers in the surveys done
on the number of gamers in general and we only know the population of
those who are disabled). We have been pushing for getting funding
and/or help in getting the question put into surveys that are about
media but not necessarily FROM the game industry (ie, some of the
"American Life" studies done by PEW).