[games_access] one switch gaming

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Wed Nov 19 03:39:54 EST 2008

Hello Sandra,

Race games are tricky to implement well with one-switch mechanics. There are
some solutions though...

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/sd-race.htm - Try Orbit Racers. Using a
circular or oval track can make gaming quite intuitive and fun.

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/Playstation-PC/Iplaystation13.htm -
Destruction Derby on the Playstation One had barriers encompassing all the
tracks that helped one-switch gamers to get around (accellerator jammed on -
with one button controlling left for instance.

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/4Noah/4Noah.htm - 4Noah utility. Can help
reduce game controls down. For Pole Position one player can use one-switch
to take control over gear-changes (quick tap for high/low change) and the
pedals (press once for accellerate - press again to coast - and loop).
Another player can then use two switches for left-right steering. So from a
game with two-pedals, a two-way gear stick and steering wheel - you can
reduce the game down to three buttons in a very playable way.

Here's a little more info:

http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/2007/12/top-3-accessibility-features-for.html

All this said - I have seen people share controls and have huge fun just
pressing a switch connected to BOOST on Xbox 360 Burnout Paradise and the
like:

http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2008/06/special-effect-roadshow.html

re. your question on auto-scanning - I think as long as there is an option
to switch it on and off from a simple game menu - but have those settings
auto-load the next time you play is generally a fine solution.

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk