[games_access] GDC 2009: One Proposal Moves to Phase Two

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 3 00:24:25 EDT 2008

Dear All,

Unfortunately, the GDC advisory board did not
share our enthusiasm about last year's
Accessibility Arcade and it -- and 5 other
proposals -- were rejected.

However, we did have one proposal --
Accessibility 101 -- accepted to move to "phase
two" -- which does not mean we're in...we are
just now invited to submit further information to
them, including a draft of the slides for the
session. I attached the requirements to the end
of this email. This is a new process and I don't
know what the likelihood of moving forward is but
I'm assuming that because they get into specific
requests ("color blindness") that there is a good
chance that the session will move on if their
directives are followed.

There is a further catch...there can be only one
presenter. Yes, this is crazy given how this talk
has been traditionally run. I will appeal this
request.

I don't know if the IGDA gets ANY sessions this
year but we now have to see if we can get
"Arcade" saved through that process. I will keep
you up to date on this as soon as I hear more.

The next question? Passes. At this point we have
exactly one pass. I am hoping to increase this
through multiple ways, including corporate
sponsorship to purchase more. If we get an IGDA
session this will give us more but I don't know
how many more.

So...I need to know this -- who exactly is
planning on attending GDC (and at this point you
need to be almost 100% sure)? This will help me
figure out how to get more of us in attendance.
We will then, together, figure out who the passes
will go to in what order.

Please email me offlist (hinn at uiuc.edu) if you
were planning on participating at GDC 2009 so I
can get an accurate headcount.

Frustrated...
Michelle

-----

I'm the content manager for the upcoming GDC 2009
and I'm following up on the status of your
submission, "Accessibility 101: Crash Course for
Beginners." The GDC Advisory Board has
conditionally accepted your proposal and are now
requesting further information to make a final
decision.

The advisors like the topic of your talk but
would like to have one presenter deliver the
lecture. Please decide who the presenter will be,
I assume it will be you. We will also need you to
prepare the full PPT presentation and cover color
blindness in your speech. The slides will need to
be as final as possible for us to gauge the value
of the content being offered to the veteran
developer in attendance. In addition, please
prepare the following as part of your submission:

·         100-word description
·         50-word concise description for use on
the show guide (a condensed version of the
100-word description)
·         100-word max for the takeaway
·         100-word max for the intended audience

Your slides and outline will be due no later than
Nov. 3 for phase III review. By mid-October, I'll
provide you a unique link that will log you back
in to the submission form so you may submit the
requested information. The advisory board will
then review the material and make a decision.
I'll notify you on the status of your proposal in
early December.

In the meantime, please begin working on your
abstract and if you have any questions, feel free
to contact me.

Best,
Evelyn