[games_access] Question eSport and cheating

hinn at illinois.edu hinn at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 20 08:36:15 EDT 2009

in game design, it's called "rubberbanding." if a player gets too far ahead, the game "snaps" the characters back so that they are closer together. usually this is done more with the game AI when a player is playing a 'bot but it's done (or has the capacity to) in multiplayer games with humans (see next sentence).

then there is just setting the difficulty level for each player individually, decided by the gamers themselves. i termed this "social rubberbanding" in an article about 5 years ago.

basically unless it's a player versus a 'bot, most games rubberband in multiplayer games when the players themselves have agreed that one person needs help because they are new to the game or any other of a variety of reasons. so the player that is an expert makes their setting harder and the other makes theirs easier -- works the same way if someone needs assistance due to a disability. this is almost always negotiated live in face-to-face situations (console gaming, non-online). so if both parties (or more if it's a 4 player game, for instance) agree then no one is using the "cheat" (different difficulty levels) for ill gain.

of course there are always some who will choose to cheat to play a joke on their friend but that's another issue...that's just people who are playing with each other.

michelle