[games_access] GDC 2010 'One Button' Contest

D. Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 2 01:11:23 EST 2009

Hi all,

Here's the direct link to the article I'm copying below in case there
are any problem:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/12/gamma_announces_one_button_the.php

A one button game contest? That's crazy...does anyone know anything
about these sorts of games? ;) Ok, I know Barrie will throw things at
me at this point <ducking>

Seriously, though, very interesting to see that they chose that as
their theme. I'm trying to see how we can get involved.

Michelle
Gamma Announces 'One Button' Theme For GDC 2010 Showcase

[We're excited to be working with the Kokoromi folks on hosting the
latest Gamma event at Game Developers Conference 2010, and here's the
latest info on the theme and submission guidelines - looking forward
to seeing entries.]

Montreal’s Kokoromi collective has announced its theme for Gamma 4,
with game makers challenged to make "innovative, experimental new
games played with just one button" to be showcased at GDC 2010 in San
Francisco.

As recently announced, Kokoromi is partnering with Think Services'
Game Developers Conference to bring the fourth edition of its
renowned Gamma game showcase to GDC 2010 next March.

Comparable to a longer-form, targeted version of the 'indie game jam'
concept, previous years’ themes have included Gamma 01: Audio Feed
(games driven by live audio), gamma 256 (games with extremely small
pixel dimensions), and GAMMA 3D (games using red-blue stereoscopic
3D). Standout games like Passage, Paper Moon, and Super HYPERCUBE
resulted.

This time around, the Gamma organizers have framed the competition as
follows: "Gestural controls, multi-touch surfaces, musical
instruments, voice recognition—even brain control. Games are moving
beyond the iconic hand-held controller, and into the future. But is
the secret to good games found in high-tech interface hardware?
Kokoromi proposes that game developers can still find beauty in
absolute simplicity."

Taking place on the evening of Wednesday March 10th, 2010, the Gamma
4 kickoff event bridges the end of the Independent Games Summit and
the start of the main GDC. The playable games will be revealed at the
Mezzanine, a venue housed in a historic two-story warehouse near Mint
Plaza, in the heart of San Francisco’s SoMa district. The curated
games will be featured on large projections, and accompanied by live
DJs.

Following the opening event, all the games will be playable for all
in a dedicated booth on the Game Developers Conference Expo floor
from Thursday, March 11th to Saturday, March 13th. In addition, game
creators who are selected for presentation at Gamma 4 will also be
awarded GDC 2010 All-Access passes.

Game makers around the world now have from December 1st 2009 until
January 31st 2010 at midnight Pacific time to complete and submit
their single-input creations. Full submission rules and guidelines
are available at the official Gamma 4 web page.