[games_access] game accessibility research

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Mon Jan 5 10:24:50 EST 2009

Hi all,

Richard wrote:
> My point is that I would find it worthwhile to get a good overview of (and therefore insight in) what research themes/trajectories/aims there are in this field - to get the big picture of GA research. For example, so far I think there are at least two (or four) different themes or trajectories: 1a) research into making a particular aspect of a game (more) accessible for a particular target group, 1b) research into making a particular game (more) accessible for a particular target group, 1c) research into making all games accessibl
>  e for all and 2) research into the phychology of game accessibility (Michelle?). So 1) making games (more) accessible and 2) game accessibility phychology. But is that all there is? And is this all that is needed? Or do we need to look into some other big themes as well, such as 3) game accessibility economy (??!?) and 4) game accessibility legal issues (there is some stuff out there on this actually) and 5) game accessibility in special contexts (?!?).... just examples... you get what I mean... ;) I would like to make a list of themes (which in the end will probably resemble the chapters of the book? ;) ) and then see what hiatus' there are...

It seems to be nearly the same, people would like to have for "games for health" too.
I would like to read it, when finished :-)
I am wondering what kind of software could be useful for a good overview ?

> btw: what do you research exactly?

Oh I just try to learn as much as possible about this topic.
I do talk with people in Germany about this topic, too.
For example Frauenhofer Institutes, Game Events organiser, Online Magazines, ...
Maybe I can give a short presentation in march this year on a cultural game event in Germany.
But I am not sure, if I can do this already.

At the moment I play games with the view of people with disabilities and
write documents what could be done to make it more accessible.
I think this is a very good practise.

I am very surprised that "accessibility" is not a topic in my study.
They gave us the article, where the people need to implement something in the brain.
But they did not mentioned "Bio Feedback". We also do not learn about Braille or special hardware.

Is there a collection of accessibility features besides all the documents (that features special topics) and the GA-SIG Top Ten ?
I have a mindmap for all features I find.

Regards,
Sandra