[games_access] games_access Digest, Vol 57, Issue 4

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 23:55:46 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Sandra Uhling <sandra_uhling at web.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> @Reid
> A good idea with the log file.
> How should the logfile be accessible ?
> In the game or when the game is exited.

I prefer, access in game, but that's just me.

> Maybe it should be saved like savegames,
> like the user wants or separate for each level ?
> It need also a good search function or/and structure.

One can get as creative as they like with this. Separate logs per
character as an example. All depends on your and the player's needs.

> Subtitle and information who says it:
> How important are the names ?
> Is it enough to have a colour coding to know who said it?
> Is there a colour that would be bad with a black background ?

I think they are very important because deaf players can't hear that
one voice sounds female and another sound male for example. You could
color code, but must be consistent so that players learn that green is
always for one character and no other. But then you lose the ability
to color code sounds by type, (hazard, friendly, information) like I
did in Doom3[CC].

Based on color theory some colors do not mix well, so yes, black
background can pose problems for text in certain colors. Forgive me
for not making a comprehensive list now. If someone who knows color
theory can let us know which colors shouldn't be used for text on a
black background please share.

> Testing: yes
> I also saw a subtitle that was nearly hidden.
> I have already a 24" Widescreen.
>
> Maybe stupid question, but it should be possible that too long sentence
> are divided into two ?

Yes, the CC sys should allow for multiple lines to be displayed
sequentially, one after the other, or to scroll through a long
paragraph, only showing a couple lines at a time.

Thanks for the questions, it's confirming my plans to make a CC manual
for developers will be useful.