[games_access] Project Natal: Microsoft's Alternative Controller

hinn at illinois.edu hinn at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 3 16:17:50 EDT 2009

Thanks everyone! As I mentioned before, I will be speaking in Redmond in a few weeks (a reschedule from a few weeks ago due to emergency surgery I had) about it and game accessibility. I used to work for Microsoft and have had a long standing relationship with them so they invited me to talk on behalf of AbleGamers and the IGDA SIG.

I'll be having one-on-one and group meetings with several of their engineers on the project, etc. in addition to my two schedule talks. If anyone would like me to cover a particular concern, please email me off-list at hinn at uiuc.edu and we can discuss your concerns in more detail so that I have more information to give the engineers that would go beyond media coverage. This is definitely our chance to get information directly to those who can make changes happen now! It actually worked out better to have had to delay the talk because now we can all talk about it on here and off-list BEFORE I go so that I can help make sure that they know everything they can to make this project as accessible as possible. Yay! This is going to be a big win for the movement, I know it!

I have been working with Microsoft and AbleGamers for a long time now on this but due to an NDA none of us who were included in the conversation were able to mention anything about the project -- now that it's been announced we can say that we knew it existed but nothing else that they haven't already told the public. Please feel free to email Mark Barlet (mark at ablegamers.com) as well with comments that we can get to their engineers -- I can reveal now that he's the only other person that was involved outside Microsoft. :) They reached out to both of us as individuals and we've been working together ever since.

Microsoft is the first console company who has involved any of us in the game accessibility movement at this level and this is exciting! I'm glad the announcement finally came out so that we can now freely discuss the project! Don't let this chance pass us by -- let me know what you are thinking so we can get information to those in positions of power at Microsoft to make change happen!

Michelle