[games_access] Project Natal: Microsoft's Alternative Controller

oneswitch at googlemail.com oneswitch at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:53:33 EDT 2009

Hi Nathalie,

I'm in contact with the UK branch of Microsoft too. The more that get in touch the merrier is my thinking. My main thoughts are that I'd love for Microsoft to promote the use of an accessibility profiling system perhaps linked to their Avatar system, that takes into account preferences for game control and other accessibilty issues.

My concern is that from the Natal demos I have seen - many gamers will not be able to jump about to play games and will feel left out as they can do with the Wii - especially so wheelchair users. EyeToy gets around this issue as you can reposition the camera to focus on just a finger for instance, which can be used to play. Microsoft could get around this issue by promoting controller configuration options in a versatile way...

If gamers can define a mix of Natal moves/expressions/vocalisations to trigger particular functions (e.g. lift your eye brows to brake in a car game - tilt your head left/right to steer) many more gamers could be brought in. It would be a revolution for console gaming.

If there was a way to define your controls with a mix of user-definable JoyPad controls plus Natal interactions - you could make a huge number of games more accessible - and playable in totally new ways.

So... Will Microsoft consider versatile user-definable controls and promote this to game developers? Can Natal be used to play existing games that use a JoyPad controller? Have Microsoft ever seen the Vocal Joystick (http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/search?q=vocal+joystick)? Is Natal versatile enough to be used as a head-tracker? Will Microsoft consider pushing for greater accessibility in games that do not have Natal compatibility (as Forza 3 seems to be alluding to: http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2009/06/forza-3-one-switch-mode.html).

That's all a bit garbled - do you think you could make sense of that and pose some of that to Microsoft?

Please let me know how you go...

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk