[games_access] disability or limitation?

Mark Barlet mark at ablegamers.com
Tue Nov 3 14:47:07 EST 2009

I did not know handicapped was out. I use it to describe myself, and
it I have a handicapped parking tag and that is what many of the signs
say.

Handicapped does not bother me. Very few names bother me (and trust me
I have been called a lot of names). I think that Steve is correct that
"crippled" is not a good word to use, it may even get you runover.
Maybe that and "Gimpy" , I do not like to be called gimpy.

Mark

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM, D. Michelle Hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> That is how we phrase it in the US as well. You could say "people with a

> disability" or "people with limited mobility/sight/hearing" but "limitation"

> is a tricky word when you enter the cognitive arena. To me, limitation

> sometimes sounds like you are saying that there's only so much a person can

> do; whereas disability sounds "more like" (ie, not exactly but slightly

> better than "limitations" seems to me) you are saying that a person can do

> as much as they can imagine doing (no limits) but it may be in a

> non-traditional manner (note that I did not say "normal"). Disability is not

> a perfect word either and it doesn't exactly say that the person can do as

> much as they imagine doing but it sounds closer to that.

> Handicapped is definitely on the "no" list in the US.

> Michelle

> On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:19 AM, Sandra Uhling wrote:

>> Hello,

>> in Germany we use:

>> people with disability instead of disabled people.

>> Best regards,

>> Sandra

>>> blind??

>>> Why the not blind is not disabled in this society?? becaouse we have

>>> adapted the room with a light.

>>> We are now changing to the word "functional diversity". We say people

>>> with funcional diverity in visuals, or mobility, or cognitive, or

>>> auditive.

>>> 2009/11/2 Sandra Uhling <sandra_uhling at web.de>

--
Mark C. Barlet