[games_access] What is the meaning of Closed Captioning

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Mon Apr 19 04:45:42 EDT 2010

Sandra,

Closed captioning is the display of all sounds as text.
It includes spoken words and sounds such as background sounds.

Closed captioning is different from open captioning in that closed
captioning must be turned on, presumably by the user, whereas open
captioning is on all the time.
Closed captioning differs from subtitles in that subtitles do not
necessarily include sounds other than spoken words.

We use open, not closed, captioning in some of our games.
We use subtitles in our Inspector Cyndi in Newport games.

It's important to make any sounds that come from the captioning, such as
from a screen reader, not conflict with any sounds made specifically for
gamers who are blind.

John Bannick
www.7128.com