[games_access] XBox Kinect Can Understand Sign Language?

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 08:53:51 EDT 2010

Well, as Microsoft never made claims to this with any of the publicity, it's just a bit more info on what the Kinect can and can't do. I'm still excited to see what it can do, and hope it does well, so that the possibility of a Kinect 2 that can make out individual fingers and some signs becomes more likely in the future.

Also, let's be honest - being able to interpret A.S.L. or any other sign language would be a massive ask at this stage, and would require face-recognition of a high-standard too. Speech recognition still has miles to go (see this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFcZIY-t1bc), Sign Language recognition even further I would say...

Barrie