[games_access] Terminology

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 05:20:25 EST 2010

Personally, I find that term bit wet, but each to their own. Also realise I'm in a minority not liking being described as white (I'm pink and occasionally brown - I'm definitely not white - and I've never seen a black person in my life - pretty sure we're 99.9% somewhere between very pale pink and very dark brown - not such polar opposites). In the context of game accessibility I prefer to talk of the barriers people face (Physical barriers, Cognitive barriers etc.) rather than people's limitations. We're looking for solutions to remove the barriers that disable people. Yes there's cross over between the medical model of disability and the social model - but I'm not a doctor. I much prefer the social model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_model_of_disability). For me, I'm set on "Disabled People" in this field - until the barriers are removed. Then they're just people.

[steps down from well-worn soap-box]...

Barrie