[games_access] Judge Tosses Blind Gamer's Suit vs. Sony

Matt Troup foreversublime at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 27 18:30:28 EST 2010

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal anything.

Just to clarify the below statement and the discussion in general:

There was no trial.  The judge absolutely COULD NOT have required Sony to do
anything, because the grounds the suit were brought on did not apply.

Videogames are not a public accommodation.

Here's an analogy for what happened, to help put this in perspective:

Scenario: Mark Bartlett punches me in the face.  I sue him for infringing on
my patent.  The judge looks at me and says, "You dope, I have to toss this
out.  Something may or may not have happened between you and Mark - but
patent infringement was not it.  Try again".

If the trial finished with an affirmative ruling it would affect many
different things.  Here are some other scenarios:

Scenario 1: I go to Best Buy and steal over $500 of video games.  Best Buy
takes me to court.  My lawyer sites this case, showing that video games are
a public accommodation.  I counter sue for millions of dollars saying Best
Buy actively withheld me from a public accommodation.  I may or may not win
the case, but I have grounds to make the claim.

Scenario 2: A new company is created and creates a service, like Itunes,
that makes all music free.  The record industry, and Apple, goes nuts.  The
new company cites this case saying that recorded music is a lot like
videogames, and those have been deemed a public accommodation, so they
should be able to distribute music for free.

Scenario 3: No games would ever be published.  Not because of reasons for
ADA compliance, but because the company that created the game would not own
the IP to have the right to work with a publisher.  The same would happen to
Movies, Music, and Books.

I don't know a ton about the law, but I know enough to give a disclaimer at
the top.