[games_access] Judge Tosses Blind Gamer's Suit vs. Sony

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 28 05:33:22 EST 2010

Hi Chuck,

I think we have failed to back up your game at the GASIG, so personally, I'm very sorry for that. When I first became aware of the story, it was through AbleGamers being all over it. Perhaps at the time I was in a state of mind to feel that they had covered it well enough, and that I didn't want to be accused of pinching their story. That sounds silly now I realise.

>From a personal stand-point, I do spend a fair bit of money buying controllers and games that are deemed to be accessible. Coming from the UK where there is little interest in American Football, unsurprisingly the game is just not my cup of tea. If it had a one-switch mode I'd most likely have bought it though. Maybe a few complimentary review / demo copies would have seen you receive extra support? None of us are getting paid for our GASIG efforts, so our time given is for our belief in wanting to see more accessible games out there. We don't always get it right.

As you will hopefully recall, I did e-mail you with interest about your My Golf game, with some straight-forward accessibility ideas that would improve things. Despite what you may think this is support. The various web-sites out there are support (http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2009/07/game-accessibility-sites.html). The mailing list does help to get info out there. Support isn't solely financial.

Looking at your site again (http://www.vtreellc.com/) My Football Game does sound like it has some really good accessibility features. Maybe "everyone can play" is a bit of a steep claim, but nonetheless you've obviously made some huge efforts. Again, I don't think we've supported you as well as we should have.

Why not contact SpecialEffect's GameBase (www.gamebase.info) which didn't exist when you were first promoting your game? I'm sure they would support you (especially if you'd send them a free trial copy) and likely knock up a YouTube video as well if you asked them which you could use on-site?

Like AbleGamers, I can't guarantee any sales, but I'd be happy to review a copy at the GASIG Blog. I really hope that you're not too disheartened with the field of Game Accessibility, as people like you are making a real difference. Maybe though if you'd written that you'd appreciate some extra help, you'd have got it earlier?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk