[games_access] Gamasutra: Analysis: Game Design Accessibility Matters , Usability, Accessibility

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Thu Jan 7 06:14:20 EST 2010

Hi,

I still have to read the article.
(I am working on my presentation :-)  )

This are my thought about accessibility and usability.

Accessibility: without this the gamer cannot play or can hardly play a game
Usability: with this it is more comfortable to play.

There is nothing like: this feature is accessibility and this is usability.
It depends on the gamer and the situation.

Example: user defined control can be
* accessibility: a gamer need to adapt the control to his needs.
* usability: a pro gamer feels more comfortable with an adapted control.

There are lots of game accessibility features that I would like to have for
usability:
* hints in click and point games, highlighting of elements in click and
point,
* training possibilities (lots of gamer would like to have this, special in
difficult games, you need it after a break :-) )
* ....

And lots of features are already used for usability, special for beginner.
But they are not used with thought about accessibility.

Best regards,
Sandra