[games_access] Game accessibility survey journal article

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Fri Jul 30 09:50:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

Do we know something about the situation of disabled gamers?
I do not have numbers, arguments or disabled gamers point of view for this.

Some people say that games are already very accessible.
Because I do not know much about the situation, I do not know what to say.

One big problem is that most of disabled gamers are not active.
It is hard to find disabled gamers and talk to them. The deaf gamer
I talked to, was very surprised about the idea to "fight" for sound
alternatives.
Some gamers in a Tomb Raider forum wrote about their problems, but they
would
never get the idea to become active. The blind gamers I asked, were
interested in
eSport, but there was no one who wanted to write a concept.
(Some pedagogues say that is the result of our school system, that people
are not very dedicated)

That feels some kind of odd. I am active, but for who?
Is there someone out there?  (Of course I know AbleGamers, but I do miss
others)

Maybe we should give the disabled gamer "a face"? Some communities do this
for political reason.
They start "I am a gamer" websites with lots of profiles of gamers. I like
the profiles of disabled
gamers in one of Marks presentation. Maybe it is possible to add also
non-disabled gamers who would
like to have certain Game Accessibility Features?  Main focus should be
disabled gamers.

Then I could give a link to the people and they get an imagination of the
disabled and read comments
feelings and how they feel.

Best regards,
Sandra