[games_access] Edge

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 15:47:18 EDT 2010

(Sorry, Robert, I'm so slow to answer e-mails at the minute)...

Are people making one-switch / one-button games for fun - or for accessibility. Well definitely a mix. I think looking at some of the Kokoromi games - (list here: http://www.gamebase.info/forum/topic/23/page/1) some have clearly not a clue about accessibility and are writing for the competition and pure fun of them.

Many do write games thinking properly about access, such as Graeme Singh and Scott McKay. But I would think 99% of developers realise that one-button constraint can be a fun way to play.

There are lots of one-button games for phones - some are stupidly hard - most give no ability to play using any alternative hard-ware - which is a real shame. Something for the future perhaps? One of my favourite one-switch games, Uo Poko by Cave, got a mobile phone release, but sadly only in Asia. The most addictive one-button game I've played is EA's Air Hockey. Simple, but really fun and addictive. I've asked them and the programmer lots of times for a PC version, but got no where. Have seen a JAVA version that can be played on a PC - but it's a pirate. I want there to be a legitimate version.

I'm rambling!

Barrie