[games_access] Game Accessibility not taken seriously enough?

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:45:44 EDT 2010

Ditto, John. I think whilst it's important to try to make mainstream
developers aware of game accessibility - because on occasion it really works
(thinking of Valve's Half-Life 2 closed-captions, WARP's pure audiogame Real
Sound: The Wind's Regret, Namco's PC version of Star Trigon with proper
one-switch mode, Peggle with colour-blind mode, etc.) - the people making a
real, lasting difference right now are the indies. You're much, much more
likely to see positive change in games by approaching indie developers in my
experience. Most are willing to try to add extra features - and some go
above and beyond (such as Ovine by Design's Whack-a-Monty-Mole, PugFugly's
The Pyramid, Thomas Westin's Terraformers, and I can go on and on and on).
The mainstream still seem to think adding a way to reconfigure your controls
as you want them an unnecessary luxury. And how many people are left-handed
in the world?! Long way to go...

Barrie