[games_access] UN Convention - What are good "measures" ?

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Thu Nov 11 04:31:16 EST 2010

Hi,

I compared GA with Web Accessibility and thought about the praxis.
I would say having laws would be the worst case that would not help anyone.

For Game Designer and Game Developers GA is very very very difficult.
So also we would have laws they can say that it is not "reasonable".
And they are right.

Ubisoft said they will put subtitles in their games. But this does not work
very well, when they do not have information and support to do it.

With kinect it is the same: First they have to learn how to use a skeleton
And know we say, hey you have to use also "not complete" skeleton.

Web Accessibility has a checklist and you have lots of code examples.
Web Sites are usually also not very different. But it is still hard to make
them accessible.
Also when people try, there are very often misunderstanding what is really
important.

For Games we cannot have a checklist for everything. Games are different,
also Games from the same genre are different.

GA it very difficult. We need more sensitization and more support,
when we want (good quality) changes. Only when people do understand it,
they will be able to design it better.

States have to make sure that also companies follow the UN Convention,
But it does not say what kind of measures the state should use.

So my question is, what kind of measures are useful and how can we
give this information to the politicians who transfer the UN Convention to
national law?
Maybe we can write a document and send it to the national developer unions?
With a note that when they have more questions, we will help them to
understand it.

Best regards,
Sandra