[games_access] Electronic Soup Podcast: EuroGamer 2010 - Top 10 thoughts

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 12:37:02 EST 2010

Thought I'd share this link to the latest Electronic Soup Pocast:

http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/electronic-soup-podcast-eurogamer-2010_376.html

There's an interview with SpecialEffect founder Mick Donegan, at the mainstream gaming event EuroGamer 2010. I've also just posted up a break-down of the accessible gaming gear we used to showcase driving games.

Maybe a good start for the new web-site would be to collate existing suggestions in an ideas WIP area, and also a top 10 list for specific types of games, as well as a general top 10 list?

Lots of suggestions come to mind for driving games (started here some years back: http://gameaccessibility.blogspot.com/2007/12/top-3-accessibility-features-for.html)

Driving Assists
 - including auto-brake (first seen in F355: Ferarri Challenge I think c. 1999 as "Intelligent Brake System").
 - Racing Line (with consideration for colour-blind players).

Easy tracks - including Ovals.

Way to tweak quality and racing speed average of your opponents, but also a way to limit your own cars top speed to what ever you prefer. Some players want to race with good looking cars, but find it hard to manage them. This is especially the case for switch users (full on or off typically when it comes to the accelerator control). I built a "VRAA! box" for switch users to get around this (it allows you to dial up how fast you want your cars top speed to be for switch control), but that doesn't stop all your opponents being too fast at the same time.

Barrie