[games_access] SIG Update! Election Info Coming Soon!

Robert Florio arthit73 at cablespeed.com
Mon Sep 20 10:11:58 EDT 2010

Cool I'll do it!

Thanks

  _____

From: games_access-bounces at igda.org [mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]
On Behalf Of Michelle Hinn
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 7:31 AM
To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List
Cc: gordon at igda.org
Subject: [games_access] SIG Update! Election Info Coming Soon!

Hi everyone!

Many have been asking about how to get more involved with the SIG...here's
how! By running for the new SIG steering committee, which will be the
committee that chooses the new chair!

Yes, I have been chair for a VERY VERY long time now but now is the time to
allow a new set of leaders to emerge and to allow them to flourish with the
backing of others who will be equally involved in the running of the SIG. In
the past we have tried to set up a loose committee structure but the IGDA
has recently set a formal standard for how a SIG's government should work.
And a formally elected committee is the best way to do things -- there's so
much to be done in game accessibility and in being a leader within the IGDA
and only through a strong team can all this be accomplished well!

To complete the process, we're going to need to hold ELECTIONS!!!! W00T!!!

So while I am stepping down, I will be running for the steering committee so
that I can best help transfer years of experience on to the new committee
but I cannot be elected as chair. It's time for someone else to chair the
SIG. If the SIG decides to elect a fresh slate of folks, I will be still be
helping the steering committee with the in's and out's of running a SIG
within the IGDA.

And...that all being said...here's what you need to know NOW!!

The incredible Sheri Rubin, who runs the Quality Assurance SIG (among her
many, many other high-level IGDA activities -- including Managing Director
at the moment...I hope I got that title right, Sheri!), will be managing
this process for us, to help avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest
on my part and make the whole thing smoother for everyone.

We'll be electing a steering committee who will then appoint a chair. My
plan is to step down as chair but still run for a spot on the steering
committee to serve as "Chair Emeritus."

Sheri will be sending a number of emails over the next few weeks moving our
election process along. I urge you to participate in every step. Thanks for
your good citizenship! :)

I'm sure that there will be a ton of comments and questions! Please wait for
Sheri to make her formal announcement from the IGDA that she is starting up
the SIG Election process. You may, of course, email the list to discuss
details and/or contact Sheri directly. Again, please hold your questions
until she sends the email to the list explaining what will happen over the
next few weeks.

Note One: ONLY FULL PAYING MEMBERS of the IGDA may run for a position on the
steering committee and may vote. Those who are qualified at this point in
time are already accounted for but there will be a grace period to allow
people to renew and/or upgrade their memberships that Sheri will discuss.

Note Two: If you are considering running for the steering committee, I urge
you to start thinking about new goals and directions for the SIG and how
you've contributed to the SIG to date to include in your election
statements. Again, Sheri will have more information about all of this for
you so please don't spam the list until you've read what she has to say! :)

Well, that's it! Election time is NOW! It's been an absolute honor to work
with you all for so long. We've seen many changes since Thomas Westin
officially started the SIG way back when we were a "committee" before we
were a SIG. I've had a great time as chair -- yes, it IS VERY hard work to
be chair so running for the steering committee is not something to take
lightly. But I still believe that our SIG is one of the most important SIGs
in the IGDA! I think sometimes we think of ourselves as small but let me
tell you -- within the IGDA we are VERY active and a VERY passionate group!!
I've amassed many, many great memories of all of our collaborations! Some
have been wildly successful...others? Well, not so much but, hey, we've
always gotten attention for this great cause of Game Accessibility that we
all work for!

So now? Sheri? It's your show! :D

Michelle Hinn

Outgoing Chair, Game Accessibility SIG