[games_access] Voices in the Dark - Computer Game for the Blind

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 03:08:03 EDT 2011

Good call, Eleanor. www.blindcomputergames.com is the best resource on the web by far for blind-accessible game design.

Barrie

From: Eleanor Robinson
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 7:55 PM
To: games_access at igda.org
Subject: Re: [games_access] Voices in the Dark - Computer Game for the Blind

On 8/26/2011 10:42 AM, Tara Voelker (Tefertiller) wrote:
  Hello!

  I wanted to share something with everyone. There is currently an effort going on to raise money for the developement of a computer game for the blind (or really, and one who can listen to headphones). The game is called Voices in the Dark.

  It's all audio based and uses stereo audio in headphones for a 3D sound effect. You can find more information about the project in English here or in Spanish here. Both links have a video demo of the game play.

  Here is some copy paste from the English website:

  HOW WILL I PLAY IT?

  In Voices in the Dark you will always be accompanied by a character that will guide you and give you tips about what to do, the world around you, other characters, the story of the game and more. There will be two main sequences of gameplay:

    a.. Free exploration/puzzle solving: You are put in a room or closed area and given a goal (e.g. put down a fire, as in the first part of our video). You must follow the audio clues for the elements in the area and interact with them in order (find the bucket, go to the river and grab some water, then put down the fire with it).
    b.. Quick time events: Just like QTE in other games, you must react in time to the orders your companion gives you. In the video, you are attacked by a monster and your partner tells you to dodge right and left. Fail to follow the cues correctly or in time, and your story may end there.
  The last part of the video is about two people escaping some thugs. This is like a non-interactive cutscene in other games.

  We are working on other types of interaction, but we hope to keep them a surprise.

  Right now the only have it available in Spanish, but also have plans for an English and Japanese version.

  Thanks!

  --

        Tara (Tefertiller) Voelker - Chairperson : igda-gasig.org

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 Software