[games_access] IGDA Website Problems

Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 12 15:37:27 EST 2011

First -- members of the SIG, I'm sorry that this is happening on the listserv but we are trying to take the discussion of this off list. I wanted to defend the discussion of the technology issues, however, as I feel that our troubles with these issues has been a thorn in our side for a long time.

Sheri -- that request most likely happened when I was having or trying to recover from one of eight surgeries in the last two years. I don't recall this discussion. However, I have been very vocal at other times about these continuing issues and even turned in lists of things that would help us as a SIG. The issues with the IGDA website is not something that is new to SIG members -- we've been dealing with this for quite a long time, as have other SIGs. So none of this is a surprise and we've had long discussions about what to do about things. The number one issue for this SIG is and has always been the "access denial" (which is ironic because we are the SIG on accessibility) -- I've always made myself very clear about this. Perhaps YOU didn't hear about it because at those times you were not in the position to do anything about it but others did.

I AM glad that we now have a new leadership system that allows much more communication and I hope that these things can get corrected much sooner than it was possible in the past with all the changes that the IGDA itself went through. I'm not trying to drag things down -- in fact we've taken the details of what's going on off list with Ryan and Tara. But people are frustrated and the "lock out" bug has NOT been a new issue.

I'm sorry that you feel like I'm dragging things down but I'm not trying to -- As you know as a past SIG leader, blame for a lot of things falls on you and the technology issues are NOT something I want to be something that drags down Tara without adding a little history. Please don't just assume that I'm not being positive and helpful when 99% of the time I have been doing as much as I can to help the transition behind the scenes. I'm sorry that you took offense at my comment to Tim but it was (perhaps not all that funny) an attempt at a little levity on an issue we've had for quite a long time.

If you have further issues with me personally, I would appreciate if you would take these off list. I have been one of these IGDA volunteers that you mentioned for ten years.

Michelle