[games_access] Any thoughts on adding a "teacher mode" access to software for Special Ed (cognitive) software?

Tim Holt tim.m.holt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:17:53 EST 2011

I've been wondering about ways to add access to a "teacher mode" or setup
mode for software used by those with cognitive disabilities.  By teacher
mode I mean access to settings and configurations that you'd not want the
student to open by accident.

Any thoughts on ways to do this beyond making it a keyboard shortcut that
only the teacher knows?  The downside in my mind to the keyboard shortcut
idea is that even if you put a nice little prompt on the screen that says,
"Press Ctrl+T to access settings", some people (teachers) won't figure it
out.

A few things I've thought of is requiring one to hold down the Shift key
while clicking an access icon.  E.g., have a "Gear" icon for settings, and
when moused over, a tool tip text says "Hold shift and click to access
settings", the assumption being that the student probably can't read or
understand the instructions.

Tim Holt
Product Technology Architect
PCI Education