[games_access] Historical Video and/or Text Chat about Game Accessibility

Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon May 2 19:04:44 EDT 2011

Hey everyone,

So the IGDA is starting to collect histories of the IGDA and we're a pretty old SIG that was first a committee that was first an idea that was first a few research projects that spans over a decade.

I'd love it if we could gather some online individual interviews in video with cc with text transcript. We have a TON of history as many of you know. If you would like to participate, email me off list at hinn at uiuc.edu and we can talk about the best way to go about this would be.

And, no, this isn't just for those of us that remember the entire history of the SIG -- it's for everyone. Just tell your story about what got you interested, how long you've been working in the area, whatever game accessibility and disability related you would like to tell and we'll work it out.

I'll be out of town from May 5 to May 20th but I might be able to get a few videos in before I leave and finish the rest when I get back. And if anyone would like to help with the digital video/transcripts, please also let me know.

We'd be the first SIG to really take this on! And it would be really cool for the historians amongst us. Just today I was emailing yet another person who was a long time advocate for accessibility  in games and had not heard of the SIG, AbleGamers, Special Effect, etc. He just thought it was just him! So it would be nice to have an archive so people don't feel like they are alone in their work.

And if you represent another group, I don't see any reason why you can't post your own videos on your sites as long as you mention that it's a part of a larger historical project.

Seem ok?

Hoping to hear from a lot of you -- remember email me off list (hinn at uiuc.edu) if you are interested but always feel free to discuss concerns on the list. I've been literally working on this since I got the news 15 minutes ago so I haven't thought through everything so chime in if you have more ideas!