[games_access] 1. Paralympics Video game

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 21 07:49:13 EDT 2012



Yeah I agree Sandra that article isn't the best, written by people who don't have a good understanding of gaming, but it still raises a valid point it its title.
Robin - fantastic idea
Barrie - I think there's isn't really any chance of getting something organised from scratch in the time available, what we'd really need is a big well known existing jam taking place around the time of the Paralympics to hand it off, like what happened with GGJ earlier this year.
There are a few local ones on around then, such as Orcajam, but there is also one big one, Ludum Dare, which kicks off on the 24th August with judging taking place while the Paralympics are on.
I'll drop Ludum Dare a quick prospective mail, can't hurt!
Ian


> From: games_access-request at igda.org

> Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 15

> To: games_access at igda.org

> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 04:22:25 -0400

>

> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> games_access at igda.org

>

> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> games_access-request at igda.org

>

> You can reach the person managing the list at

> games_access-owner at igda.org

>

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

>

>

> Today's Topics:

>

> 1. Paralympics Video game (Koman, Robin)

> 2. Re: Paralympics Video game (Barrie Ellis)

> 3. Re: Paralympics Video game (Sandra Uhling)

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Message: 1

> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:27:13 -0400

> From: "Koman, Robin" <rkoman at fullsail.com>

> Subject: [games_access] Paralympics Video game

> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <CC2EE301.39FE%rkoman at fullsail.com>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"

>

> I'm intrigued by the idea of a London Paralympics game. What about

> sponsoring a world-wide game jam focused on accessible Paralympics-themed

> games to celebrate/advertise the start of the games?

>

>

> Cheers,

>

>

> Robin N. Koman | Department Chair | Game Design Masters

> T 407.679.0100 x8921 | F 407.673.5306

>

> ?We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is

> waiting for us.?

> --Joseph Campbell

>

>

>

>

> > From: <games_access-request at igda.org>

> > Reply-To: <games_access at igda.org>

> > Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:00:04 -0400

> > To: <games_access at igda.org>

> > Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 14

> >

> > Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> > games_access at igda.org

> >

> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> > games_access-request at igda.org

> >

> > You can reach the person managing the list at

> > games_access-owner at igda.org

> >

> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> > than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

> >

> >

> > Today's Topics:

> >

> > 1. Re: wheelchair rugby (Ian Hamilton)

> > 2. Why is there no Official London 2012 Paralympics videogame?

> > (Barrie Ellis)

> >

> >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------

> >

> > Message: 1

> > Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:19:34 +0000

> > From: Ian Hamilton <i_h at hotmail.com>

> > Subject: Re: [games_access] wheelchair rugby

> > To: <games_access at igda.org>

> > Message-ID: <DUB116-W95DDB7B624F67D4E1FA4CF91D90 at phx.gbl>

> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >

> >

> > Yeah wheelchair rugby certainly has potential, a game that captured the

> > physicality of the sport in as effective a way as that Paralympics commercial

> > does would surely be a winner.

> >> ------------------------------

> >>

> >> Message: 3

> >> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:06:47 +0100

> >> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> >> Subject: Re: [games_access] games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 12

> >> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

> >> <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Message-ID: <B603644EF06745979D505CE048C1398E at OneSwitchPC>

> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>

> >> That Boccia game's already on the list, but thanks Ian, and fully agree with

> >> your points. It's certainly the most fun of the bunch. You can play it using

> >> an on-screen keyboard, and I know at least one-switch gamer that really likes

> >> it (even though it doesn't have a one-switch mode - they play with support).

> >>

> >> Would love to see the wheelchair rugby taken to the next level. I can imagine

> >> an alternate parallel universe with SEGA Virtua Wheelchair Rugby in arcades.

> >> Recon that would be a lot of fun to play.

> >>

> >> Barrie

> >>

> >

> >

> > -------------- next part --------------

> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> > URL:

> > <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120719/2a254b9

> > a/attachment.html>

> >

> > ------------------------------

> >

> > Message: 2

> > Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:08:33 +0100

> > From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> > Subject: [games_access] Why is there no Official London 2012

> > Paralympics videogame?

> > To: <games_access at igda.org>

> > Message-ID: <ACE2D269D7474E9A8768E494CE7C4321 at OneSwitchPC>

> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >

> > Worth a look:

> > http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/06/29/why-is-there-no-official-lond

> > on-2012-paralympics-video-game/

> >

> > -------------- next part --------------

> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> > URL:

> > <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120720/5936151

> > 7/attachment.htm>

> >

> > ------------------------------

> >

> > _______________________________________________

> > games_access mailing list

> > games_access at igda.org

> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> > The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

> >

> > End of games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 14

> > *********************************************

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 2

> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:53:11 +0100

> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Paralympics Video game

> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

> <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <8F5FC361CD5A4E6AAC40E2985813D467 at OneSwitchPC>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>

> Brilliant idea, Robin.

>

> The Paralympics starts on the 29th of August to the 9th of September, and these are the games: http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/sports/.

>

> Here's a wish list for Accessible Game Design: http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/wish-list-for-accessible-game-design_531.html.

>

> Here's some examples of what games already exist / can be adapted: http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/game-base-video-olympicks-2012_882.html (Boccia, Wheelchair Rugby, Goalball and Blind Football being the main Paralympic examples). Would love to see more and better.

>

> Here's some inspiration: http://youtu.be/tuAPPeRg3Nw and http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/06/29/why-is-there-no-official-london-2012-paralympics-video-game/

>

> Would be great to get AbleGamers, SE, IGDA GASIG members behind it such a push. I don't have much time to chuck to give this, but what do you and others think is needed to make this happen? Could it?

>

> Barrie

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------

> From: "Koman, Robin" <rkoman at fullsail.com>

> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 3:27 PM

> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> Subject: [games_access] Paralympics Video game

>

> > I'm intrigued by the idea of a London Paralympics game. What about

> > sponsoring a world-wide game jam focused on accessible Paralympics-themed

> > games to celebrate/advertise the start of the games?

> >

> >

> > Cheers,

> >

> >

> > Robin N. Koman | Department Chair | Game Design Masters

> > T 407.679.0100 x8921 | F 407.673.5306

> >

> > ?We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is

> > waiting for us.?

> > --Joseph Campbell

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >> From: <games_access-request at igda.org>

> >> Reply-To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:00:04 -0400

> >> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 14

> >>

> >> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> >> games_access at igda.org

> >>

> >> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> >> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> >> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> >> games_access-request at igda.org

> >>

> >> You can reach the person managing the list at

> >> games_access-owner at igda.org

> >>

> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> >> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

> >>

> >>

> >> Today's Topics:

> >>

> >> 1. Re: wheelchair rugby (Ian Hamilton)

> >> 2. Why is there no Official London 2012 Paralympics videogame?

> >> (Barrie Ellis)

> >>

> >>

> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

> >>

> >> Message: 1

> >> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:19:34 +0000

> >> From: Ian Hamilton <i_h at hotmail.com>

> >> Subject: Re: [games_access] wheelchair rugby

> >> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Message-ID: <DUB116-W95DDB7B624F67D4E1FA4CF91D90 at phx.gbl>

> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>

> >>

> >> Yeah wheelchair rugby certainly has potential, a game that captured the

> >> physicality of the sport in as effective a way as that Paralympics commercial

> >> does would surely be a winner.

> >>> ------------------------------

> >>>

> >>> Message: 3

> >>> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:06:47 +0100

> >>> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> >>> Subject: Re: [games_access] games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 12

> >>> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

> >>> <games_access at igda.org>

> >>> Message-ID: <B603644EF06745979D505CE048C1398E at OneSwitchPC>

> >>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>>

> >>> That Boccia game's already on the list, but thanks Ian, and fully agree with

> >>> your points. It's certainly the most fun of the bunch. You can play it using

> >>> an on-screen keyboard, and I know at least one-switch gamer that really likes

> >>> it (even though it doesn't have a one-switch mode - they play with support).

> >>>

> >>> Would love to see the wheelchair rugby taken to the next level. I can imagine

> >>> an alternate parallel universe with SEGA Virtua Wheelchair Rugby in arcades.

> >>> Recon that would be a lot of fun to play.

> >>>

> >>> Barrie

> >>>

> >>

> >>

> >> -------------- next part --------------

> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> >> URL:

> >> <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120719/2a254b9

> >> a/attachment.html>

> >>

> >> ------------------------------

> >>

> >> Message: 2

> >> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:08:33 +0100

> >> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> >> Subject: [games_access] Why is there no Official London 2012

> >> Paralympics videogame?

> >> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Message-ID: <ACE2D269D7474E9A8768E494CE7C4321 at OneSwitchPC>

> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>

> >> Worth a look:

> >> http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/06/29/why-is-there-no-official-lond

> >> on-2012-paralympics-video-game/

> >>

> >> -------------- next part --------------

> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> >> URL:

> >> <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120720/5936151

> >> 7/attachment.htm>

> >>

> >> ------------------------------

> >>

> >> _______________________________________________

> >> games_access mailing list

> >> games_access at igda.org

> >> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> >> The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

> >>

> >> End of games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 14

> >> *********************************************

> >

> > _______________________________________________

> > games_access mailing list

> > games_access at igda.org

> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> > The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

> >

> -------------- next part --------------

> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> URL: <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120720/48905a36/attachment-0001.html>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 3

> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:22:23 +0200

> From: "Sandra Uhling" <sandra_uhling at web.de>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Paralympics Video game

> To: "'Barrie Ellis'" <oneswitch at gmail.com>, "'IGDA Games Accessibility

> SIG Mailing List'" <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <007001cd6719$f580e180$e082a480$@de>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>

> Hi,

>

> regarding to the article.

>

> Why should paralympic be difficult? The author writes that usually

>

> the games are very very simple compared to reality.

>

> I think we do not need the complexity of paralympics.

>

> Just having gamer e.g. sitting in a wheelchair without care for numbers is

> ok.

>

> Gamers also do not want to become doctors, they want to have fun J

>

>

>

> Tip: I recommend to collect andprovide basic background and understanding

>

> ofparalympics for the game designer/developer. So they get a basic

> background

>

> and can decide between games what they are going to make.

>

>

>

> Best regards,

>

> Sandra

>

>

>

> Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org [mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org] Im

> Auftrag von Barrie Ellis

> Gesendet: Freitag, 20. Juli 2012 16:53

> An: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List

> Betreff: Re: [games_access] Paralympics Video game

>

>

>

> Brilliant idea, Robin.

>

> The Paralympics starts on the 29th of August to the 9th of September, and

> these are the games: <http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/sports/>

> http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/sports/.

>

>

>

> Here's a wish list for Accessible Game Design:

> <http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/wish-list-for-accessible-game-design

> _531.html>

> http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/wish-list-for-accessible-game-design_

> 531.html.

>

>

>

> Here's some examples of what games already exist / can be adapted:

> <http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/game-base-video-olympicks-2012_882.h

> tml>

> http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/game-base-video-olympicks-2012_882.ht

> ml (Boccia, Wheelchair Rugby, Goalball and Blind Football being the main

> Paralympic examples). Would love to see more and better.

>

>

>

> Here's some inspiration: <http://youtu.be/tuAPPeRg3Nw>

> http://youtu.be/tuAPPeRg3Nw and

> <http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/06/29/why-is-there-no-official-l

> ondon-2012-paralympics-video-game/>

> http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/06/29/why-is-there-no-official-lo

> ndon-2012-paralympics-video-game/

>

>

> Would be great to get AbleGamers, SE, IGDA GASIG members behind it such a

> push. I don't have much time to chuck to give this, but what do you and

> others think is needed to make this happen? Could it?

>

>

>

> Barrie

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------

> From: "Koman, Robin" <rkoman at fullsail.com>

> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 3:27 PM

> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> Subject: [games_access] Paralympics Video game

>

> > I'm intrigued by the idea of a London Paralympics game. What about

> > sponsoring a world-wide game jam focused on accessible Paralympics-themed

> > games to celebrate/advertise the start of the games?

> >

> >

> > Cheers,

> >

> >

> > Robin N. Koman | Department Chair | Game Design Masters

> > T 407.679.0100 x8921 | F 407.673.5306

> >

> > ?We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that

> is

> > waiting for us.?

> > --Joseph Campbell

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >> From: <games_access-request at igda.org>

> >> Reply-To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:00:04 -0400

> >> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 14

> >>

> >> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> >> games_access at igda.org

> >>

> >> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> >> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> >> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> >> games_access-request at igda.org

> >>

> >> You can reach the person managing the list at

> >> games_access-owner at igda.org

> >>

> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> >> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

> >>

> >>

> >> Today's Topics:

> >>

> >> 1. Re: wheelchair rugby (Ian Hamilton)

> >> 2. Why is there no Official London 2012 Paralympics videogame?

> >> (Barrie Ellis)

> >>

> >>

> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

> >>

> >> Message: 1

> >> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:19:34 +0000

> >> From: Ian Hamilton <i_h at hotmail.com>

> >> Subject: Re: [games_access] wheelchair rugby

> >> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Message-ID: <DUB116-W95DDB7B624F67D4E1FA4CF91D90 at phx.gbl>

> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>

> >>

> >> Yeah wheelchair rugby certainly has potential, a game that captured the

> >> physicality of the sport in as effective a way as that Paralympics

> commercial

> >> does would surely be a winner.

> >>> ------------------------------

> >>>

> >>> Message: 3

> >>> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:06:47 +0100

> >>> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> >>> Subject: Re: [games_access] games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 12

> >>> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

> >>> <games_access at igda.org>

> >>> Message-ID: <B603644EF06745979D505CE048C1398E at OneSwitchPC>

> >>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>>

> >>> That Boccia game's already on the list, but thanks Ian, and fully agree

> with

> >>> your points. It's certainly the most fun of the bunch. You can play it

> using

> >>> an on-screen keyboard, and I know at least one-switch gamer that really

> likes

> >>> it (even though it doesn't have a one-switch mode - they play with

> support).

> >>>

> >>> Would love to see the wheelchair rugby taken to the next level. I can

> imagine

> >>> an alternate parallel universe with SEGA Virtua Wheelchair Rugby in

> arcades.

> >>> Recon that would be a lot of fun to play.

> >>>

> >>> Barrie

> >>>

> >>

> >>

> >> -------------- next part --------------

> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> >> URL:

> >>

> <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120719/2a254

> b9

> >> a/attachment.html>

> >>

> >> ------------------------------

> >>

> >> Message: 2

> >> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:08:33 +0100

> >> From: "Barrie Ellis" <oneswitch at gmail.com>

> >> Subject: [games_access] Why is there no Official London 2012

> >> Paralympics videogame?

> >> To: <games_access at igda.org>

> >> Message-ID: <ACE2D269D7474E9A8768E494CE7C4321 at OneSwitchPC>

> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> >>

> >> Worth a look:

> >>

> http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/06/29/why-is-there-no-official-lo

> nd

> >> on-2012-paralympics-video-game/

> >>

> >> -------------- next part --------------

> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> >> URL:

> >>

> <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120720/59361

> 51

> >> 7/attachment.htm>

> >>

> >> ------------------------------

> >>

> >> _______________________________________________

> >> games_access mailing list

> >> games_access at igda.org

> >> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> >> The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

> >>

> >> End of games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 14

> >> *********************************************

> >

> > _______________________________________________

> > games_access mailing list

> > games_access at igda.org

> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> > The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

> >

>

> -------------- next part --------------

> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> URL: <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120721/ecae0b7d/attachment.htm>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

>

> End of games_access Digest, Vol 102, Issue 15

> *********************************************


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20120721/a4922307/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the games_access mailing list