[games_access] Game Accessibility - How to we get there?

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 17:56:03 EDT 2012

I'm not aware of ignoring any of your e-mails, Steve. Things did become painfully sluggish with development of the system. Real-life got well in the way of the ideas getting resolved quickly. I don't remember any e-mail saying that AG walked away, but can understand that they'd only wait so long before becoming fed-up.

With my SE hat on, which is where I helped to develop this system, I'm no where near as free to do what I like. I thought it was a good idea at the time to bring together organisations with such similar goals, but SE preferred the idea of testing it first. It's in BETA, and earlier days than you may realise. I can respect their decision on this, especially in light of fielding opinion on the system, and especially in testing it ourselves to see if it works for us.

Responding to other points:

Again, bear in mind that the Joypad rider symbol use is a pilot project from SE's side. It's a trial. So there still is scope for tying together with people who do like the concept, where we can all just get-a-long! It is good to get people's views on it, as nothing is set in stone at this stage. I've not seen Eleanor's symbol, and would like to.

Re. the CUTO bear - that's part of the review system to denote "Content Unlikely To Offend". It's explained here: http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/specialeffect-game-accessibility-rating-system-beta_530.html. It doesn't mean that the game is accessible. Also wanted to give Atari a nod of respect for having the first ever labelling system linked to accessibility back in 1981.

The other symbols were designed to be as clear as we could make them. I don't think they are childish, and I like colour. I think they're eye-catching. Something we thought was very important was to take into account as broad a range of abilities as we could.

Another agree to disagree I guess.

Barrie