[games_access] Game Accessibility - How to we get there?

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:35:26 EDT 2012

Although I totally get the points of view about use of wheelchairs Vs positive messaging I'm from the opposite school of thought, if it was down to me I'd be more in favour of just the standard international wheelchair symbol as that's already universally recognised, although I do understand the worry of it inferring a higher level of accessibility than might be possible.

I can't speak for wheelchair users obviously as I'm not one, but a wheelchair is a positive, empowering piece of assistive tech after all, and (for me at least) one of the strongest symbols of the power that technology has to remove barriers.

On a different note the reason for it linking to special effect reviews at the moment is just because it's currently an internal special effect trial right?

As far as I can tell the idea would be SE to trial it to see how/if it works, then if successful for it to be opened up for other people to use how they wish, just as a general signifier of accessibility information. So regardless of whether it's associated with an AG review, a SE review, PEGI symbols, bullet points or so on, the grand ambition would be for gamers to be able to tell at a glance whether or not any accessibility information is present. Is that right? If so I think it's fair to say that's something that everyone would be in favour of.

Ian