[games_access] Barrier vs. Challenge++

Dimitris Grammenos gramenos at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jun 27 09:09:07 EDT 2012

Hello all,

1. After our discussions about what constitutes a barrier and what a
challenge, I created an illustration (attached) about which in my opinion is
the difference between the two.

2. AbleGamers, congrats about both the G4TV & IndieGala. I believe that such
cases contribute positively both to your organization, as well as to the
overall goals of game accessibility.

3. I am so sorry, that only a few hours after the expression of my delight
about the vivid conversation that we have here, people have already started
going silent. As (game) accessibility is in essence about including as many
people and alternative views as possible, I don't think that this aids in
any way to our common goal.

There are always going to be misunderstandings, especially since  we are not
communicating face to face and also some of us are not native English
speakers, but I would like to ask everyone to try to take things in good
faith (I hope I am using the right phrase here) and try to work out any
problems that might come up (maybe by bilateral communications off-list?)
instead of escalating tension and conflict.

I know that there are a lot of people out there silently following the list
because they have a genuine interest in the field - and I do not think that
we would like to drive them away.

Keep talking,

Dimitris