[games_access] Article: have we found the Holy Grail of accessibility?

Dimitris Grammenos gramenos at ics.forth.gr
Thu Jun 28 06:26:36 EDT 2012

Hello Steve,

In my opinion, this is a nice and (potentially) helpful device for some
gamers with physical disabilities (setting aside the extra cost and overhead
of needing a PC in addition to the game console).

But my short answer to the article's last line "What do you think? Is XIM
the Holy Grail of accessibility?" is: "No way!"

It is just a handy support tool aiding to *hack* some accessibility features
to consoles, which may render a number of inaccessible console games
(partially) accessible to some players. For example, how can it solve all
those problems that have to do with adjustable game difficulty/speed,
requirements for multiple concurrent input? And what about body-controlled
games?

The Holy Grail of game accessibility lies within games themselves. Unless
they are designed with accessibility in mind, there can be no external
"add-on", no matter what kind of technology used, that can magically
transform them to accessible ones.

Please do not misunderstand me. I don't want by any means to lessen your
enthusiasm about this technological development, but on the other hand,
overstating the impact of such tools on accessibility may have a "boomerang
effect" on what we try to achieve, since game developers who read about it
may understand that the problem is solved (since we found the Holy Grail)
and thus there is no need for them to do anything more about it.

Best,

Dimitris