[games_access] Are there already interactive novels/books?

John Porter jrporter at uw.edu
Wed Mar 7 12:11:34 EST 2012

Choose Your Own Adventure books, or "gamebooks," have been around for
decades, though admittedly they fell out of popularity in the 1990s. These
were second- or third-person branching narratives where the reader was faced
with decisions at key points. Depending on the choices they make, they would
turn to the appropriate page to read the outcome. I'm not sure how
successful the attempts have been, but I know several publishers have been
trying to reignite interest in the genre within the last couple years by
releasing CYOAs as iOS apps.

Also, in many ways, the text adventure can be thought of as the spiritual
successor of these books. The medium is obviously very different (a computer
program instead of a paper book) and there is a much higher degree of
interactivity (i.e. free-form wayfinding, item management, environment
interaction etc.) than just making "A or B" decisions. That said, the
fundamental nature of the experience is very much in line with what the
early CYOAs were going for.

-John

are there already interactive novels/books?
For example interactive audio drama?

Best regards,
Sandra