[games_access] 508 Compliance (Eleanor Robinson)

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 04:05:35 EDT 2012



508 does have specific standards for software and media, rather than on/offline it's more about content and purpose - you have to provide equivalent access to all data and information, so if for example a govt agency are using a game as a training tool that's where it would become more relevant.

Ian

----- Reply message -----
From: games_access-request at igda.org
To: <games_access at igda.org>
Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 105, Issue 21
Date: Thu, Oct 18, 2012 3:00 PM




Send games_access mailing list submissions to
games_access at igda.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
games_access-request at igda.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
games_access-owner at igda.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. Re: 508 compliance (Sandra Uhling) (Ian Hamilton)
2. 508 Compliance (Eleanor Robinson)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:19:43 +0100
From: Ian Hamilton <i_h at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [games_access] 508 compliance (Sandra Uhling)
To: "games_access at igda.org" <games_access at igda.org>
Message-ID: <DUB002-W29286A18B7D812BF67E5C391770 at phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I think we're safe enough from that. The decisions have already been made, UNCRPD is clear enough that games fall within its reach and the UK's CRPD-based law certainly covers it, but makes very clear reference to the concept of making reasonable adjustments rather than compulsory removal of all barriers.. it'll start becoming interesting in a couple of years time once players start to realise that the legislation is applicable and the definition of 'reasonable adjustment' starts to be tested, as with other industries.
It's not CRPD stuff that I'm after though, what I'm looking for is something very specific, individual examples of games that are used within US government departments themselves (there are lots of them) that have had section 508 deemed either applicable or not applicable. All I can find reference to so far is people vaguely discussing it but never getting into it in any particular detail.
Ian


> From: games_access-request at igda.org

> Subject: games_access Digest, Vol 105, Issue 20

> To: games_access at igda.org

> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:00:13 -0400

>

> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> games_access at igda.org

>

> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> games_access-request at igda.org

>

> You can reach the person managing the list at

> games_access-owner at igda.org

>

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

>

>

> Today's Topics:

>

> 1. 508 compliance (Ian Hamilton)

> 2. Re: 508 compliance (Sandra Uhling)

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Message: 1

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:22:24 +0100

> From: Ian Hamilton <i_h at hotmail.com>

> Subject: [games_access] 508 compliance

> To: games_access at igda.org

> Message-ID: <DUB402-EAS1856584B50AAC3E566EC99291700 at phx.gbl>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

>

> Hi all, at risk of reopening the can of worms, is anyone aware of any precedents set for 508-regulated games used in government environments? I know the US govt uses games pretty extensively, but can't find any publicly available records of how legislation has been handled.

>

> Just to be clear I'm not trying to start debate on whether games can or should be regulated in this way, just looking for an example of where 508 has been deemed applicable, or just as useful, deemed specifically not applicable.

>

> Ian

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 2

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:25:26 +0200

> From: "Sandra Uhling" <sandra_uhling at web.de>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] 508 compliance

> To: "'IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List'"

> <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <001201cdabcb$a37420e0$ea5c62a0$@de>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>

> Hi,

>

> European Countries and CRPD:

> When it will come to a decision,

> I realy hope that they will care about the "reasonable" part, too.

>

> Although there are lots of guidelines:

> At the moment it is NOT reasonable to avoid barriers.

>

>

> Best regards,

> Sandra

>

>

> > -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

> > Von: games_access-bounces at igda.org [mailto:games_access-bounces at igda.org]

> Im

> > Auftrag von Ian Hamilton

> > Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2012 18:22

> > An: games_access at igda.org

> > Betreff: [games_access] 508 compliance

> >

> > Hi all, at risk of reopening the can of worms, is anyone aware of any

> > precedents set for 508-regulated games used in government environments? I

> know

> > the US govt uses games pretty extensively, but can't find any publicly

> > available records of how legislation has been handled.

> >

> > Just to be clear I'm not trying to start debate on whether games can or

> should

> > be regulated in this way, just looking for an example of where 508 has

> been

> > deemed applicable, or just as useful, deemed specifically not applicable.

> >

> > Ian

> > _______________________________________________

> > games_access mailing list

> > games_access at igda.org

> > http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> > The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

>

> End of games_access Digest, Vol 105, Issue 20

> *********************************************


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://seven.pairlist.net/pipermail/games_access/attachments/20121017/7d133890/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:44:02 -0400
From: Eleanor Robinson <eleanor at 7128.com>
Subject: [games_access] 508 Compliance
To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>
Message-ID: <507ED242.5000401 at 7128.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

It is my impression from several workshops I have attended that 508
Compliance refers to online content, not download or media content. This
would be why some games would have to meet the 508 requirements and
others would not. If they are not online games, they would not be
required to meet 508 requirements.

I may be wrong on this, but that is the impression I have from what I
have heard.

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 Software


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
games_access mailing list
games_access at igda.org
http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access
The main SIG website page is http://igda-gasig.org

End of games_access Digest, Vol 105, Issue 21
*********************************************


More information about the games_access mailing list