[games_access] Dive Kick: Two-switch fighting game

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 02:28:34 EDT 2013

Everyone who saw it was going wild for it. I saw this game being played at GDC for $500 stakes:

http://instagram.com/p/XZSj6LAkJa/

From: i_h at hotmail.com
To: games_access at igda.org
Subject: RE: [games_access] Dive Kick: Two-switch fighting game
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:23:23 +0100

Not PAX only, it's a regular game.

It started out just as a joke, a parody of fighting games, but once they realised they had something that was actually really pure and fun they got funding to develop it through kickstarter, and are now going to publish through Iron Galaxy for PC, PS3 and Vita in the Summer (not currently 360 due to lack of self publishing options, although they'll try for it if successful enough on other platforms).

The thing that is currently a one-off is the controller, which they built specifically for taking to events (they had it at GDC as well as PAX), but the two button controls will still be in, so it'll be compatible with people's existing two-switch setups.

They are pretty much constantly being asked about their demo controller though, about whether or not it's going to be mass produced, they keep getting asked both at events and on twitter etc. about whether it will be mass-produced. They started off saying no, but are now saying 'if we can find the right deal'.

It's not outside the realms of possibility, back in the day I had this controller for my old Atari 800: http://www.gamestencils.com/sc_images/DSC02121.JPG, and obviously more recently there was this too: http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1dk_bongo.jpg

If the controller was to be mass produced it might even lead to people making more games for it, ie. some more interesting two-switch compatible mechanics...

Ian