[games_access] Audio Games

Eleanor Robinson eleanor at 7128.com
Wed Jun 12 08:23:26 EDT 2013

Brian was talking about using visual clues for the sighted player to
accustom them to playing using hearing only.  And then he mentioned a
small bit of advantage that the sighted player had over the non-sighted
player.  We, at 7-128 Software have several word games that are both
audio and visual.  We have found that the blind player actually has an
advantage in these games because they are playing using the keyboard,
while sighted players use the mouse.  It is much faster to type in the
word than to move the letters in place using the mouse.  This results in
a fairly level playing field between sighted and non-sighted players.
Now if the sighted players go to the help for blind players and start
using the keyboard, they have a distinct advantage, but given most
people's reluctance to go to help screens, I don't think many do.

So, with thought, in some cases, you can get a level playing field and
have both audio and visual.

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 software