[games_access] Steam controller

John R. Porter jrporter at uw.edu
Tue Oct 1 15:34:07 EDT 2013

Well, according to Valve's initial information
release<http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/>,
they want the controller to be open and "hackable." It will be interesting
to see exactly what that ends up meaning, though.

So far, the only explicit things they comment on is that they intend to
release tools that allow people to "participate" in things like industrial
design and electrical engineering. And as for whether or not there will be
an open API, that remains to be seen. It sounds like the controller is
going to have at least a mode in which it emulates keyboard and mouse,
suggesting that at its core it's using a USB or Bluetooth HID standard
rather than something unique that Valve made. Technically, anyone can make
controllers using those standards with off-the-shelf microcontrollers like
Arduino and a little circuitry knowhow. For things like the haptic
feedback, though, there will obviously have to be some sort of parallel
channel for that info. And if *that* is made open to users to play around
with, now we're talking ;)

-John

**

John R. Porter III