[games_access] Important Question: What is our meta aim?

Thomas Westin thomas at westin.nu
Sat Dec 20 17:14:20 EST 2014

Hi Sandra,

I think most people might have gone offline for holidays by now :) but adding to Ians thoughts, the description below (quoted from our website) have been the aim almost since the start in 2003 (perhaps slightly modified over the years), but your question is very legitimate:
- some of the points in ”what we do” section have already been well achieved by members of the SIG and others; e.g. regarding points 2, 3 and 5 (bold text): there are now various sets of guidelines, whitepaper, website, recurring attendance at GDC / other conferences, academic papers by various members of the SIG
- Point 6, to develop a road map, well there is a session to look forward to
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/building-a-manifesto-for-game-accessibility
- the final (seventh) point relates directly to your question :) and this, and the non-bold points are perhaps not so clear aims, more of what is needed to be done continiously to reach those aims

> Our Mission Statement:
>
> “Computer and console games are an important cultural and quality of life issue. By collaborating with the rest of the game development community the Game Accessibility SIG intends to develop methods of making all game genres universally accessible to all, regardless of disability. In order to do this we will promote education of game developers in accessibility design, tax incentives for accessible game developers, corporate sponsorship and accessibility ratings.”
> What do we do:
>
> Work together as a community to make great games accessible.
> Develop accessibility methods and share this knowledge within the community.
> Define the needs raised by different disabilities and game genres.
> Push the current game technology to its limits from an accessibility perspective.
> Learn from accessibility design in other areas.
> Develop a “road map” to what accessibility designs are possible today and in the future.
> Collaborate with professionals and students alike on what they can do to make a difference.
> Develop the above goals further together.

Best regards,
Thomas