[games_access] Tobii and SteelSeries team up to launch eye-trackinggame controller

Barrie Ellis oneswitch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 04:53:20 EST 2014

Hmm... Maybe this is what is needed to get the price of eye-trackers down and into the mainstream, but it doesn't look like it will do anything for game accessibility straight away. It could be just be another set of controls to add to others that are used already. It could make games even less accessible to many. I guess a few people will make interesting gaze-only games which would be great, but if it uses closed proprietary interface/software that will be bad news.

I haven't read anything saying it can be used as a mouse emulator over Win 8 from the go.

I do wonder what happened to this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4tiitoo/nuia-eyecharm-kinect-to-eye-tracking/ - the plan was for a $60 clip-on device and software to complement the now very cheap to buy Kinect for Xbox 360. What a shame that fell through. I'm guessing a big name or two felt threatened by it and got legal, but I could be wrong.

Affordable off-the-shelf eye-gaze control over the mouse seems not too far away now, but it's not here yet so far as I can see.

Barrie