[games_access] Information please: Game Designers with Disabilities.

Raymond M. Rose ray at rose-smith.com
Thu May 8 13:16:37 EDT 2014

I'd like to confirm that there are game designers with disabilities.

I'm doing research for a publication initially for a K-12 audience, and
then for higher ed.  My focus right now, is making the case that online
education programs/courses have a responsibility to make all online
education accessible to students with disabilities. I believe the laws
are clear on this, and have evidence in the form of Office for Civil
Rights compliance reports to back me up.

In the process, I've been asked by some folks who are currently teaching
game design in middle and high school on-ground courses, but have been
asked to develop online courses.  So, they started by saying they had
never heard of a game designer/developer with disabilities.  I didn't
know of any either, but felt I could find evidence they exist.  (If the
field said it was not possible for someone with a disability to design
games there would be justification for the program to not be accessible.)

I've found the information about standards for making games accessible
to be very informational and will include some of those links in the
publication I'm working on.

I now know there are game designers with disabilities.  So, my second
question is what sorts of technology do those designers use -- and I
realize there are many different disabilities, so there's not a single
tool used?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

--
-- Raymond Rose, 1000 Furman Avenue, Corpus Christi, Texas 78404 (ph
512.791.3100) --