[games_access] Important Question: What is our meta aim?

Eleanor eleanor at 7128.com
Sat Jan 10 14:14:40 EST 2015

When you are talking about getting statistics to make a case that
building in certain accessibility accommodations will result in greater
sales, one of the things we need to include is the issue of the aging
population.  In the US, census figures set the percent of persons over
65 with one or more disabilities at 40%.  The over 65 demographic is
increasing world wide.  Computer and console gaming have been around for
around 35 years.  Many people who are entering that age bracket are
gamers and want to continue to play.  They can't hear as well, they
can't see as well, they may have arthritis and other impairments and
quick physical movements may not be possible for them.  Making it easier
for them to play is certainly going to make money for the game companies.

I agree that it is important to convince the leadership of the larger
game companies to include accessibility accommodations from the
beginning of game development.  I also agree that we need to continue to
reach out to the Indie developers.  With mobile games becoming more and
more ubiquitous, we need to look at the accommodations that would make
them more accessible.  We need to continue to be a resource and educator
for game developers everywhere.

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 Software