[games_access] Improved Communication Applications

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:27:10 EDT 2015

I think there are two pretty distinct needs - general chat, and collaboration on projects.
For general chat / news / etc, the other SIGs use either email or linked in. Personally I prefer linked in, but it does have the fairly big problem (as with wiggio) that it requires people to sign up for a site that they may not already be using, which is a barrier for people who only have a passing interest.
If we do stick with email, I agree that it could do with a bit of an upgrade, making the sign-up form a bit more up to date and informative, and someone at the round table suggested having a web form interface for contributing to the list too.
For collaboration, it depends a bit on the scale of the project. For some things just a couple of people co-editing a google doc has been fine, doing something like dividing up into sub-tasks and tracking progress would be overkill.. But for something more involved, I completely agree, a tool like Trello would definitely be useful.
Perhaps a master Trello setup would also be useful, so there's a single location for information about any things that are currently going on? Smaller projects could just be a single link out from Trello to a google doc or something like that, and any bigger ones live on their own sub-boards?
Ian