[games_access] Appropriate Interfaces for Blind Gamers

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:19:21 EST 2016

Hello,
As a blind gamer myself, I can confirm that we hold our phones much
different than sighted people. For us the touch screen is just a trackpad.
The touch screen is a rather bad invention if you ask me, and it takes some
getting used to. But for example, we swipe right and left to hear elements,
so that can mean we hold the phone in a way that allows for our thumb to
swipe most easily. I hold my phone either in my right hand, facing a little
away past my shoulder so it is comfortable in my hand, or I place it
sideways on my belly so I can use it while using my computer.
When I type, I have the screen sideways and facing out so I can type on it
as if it was a Braille keyboard.
I always say that things made for Blind people really need to be as simple
as possible, except when it comes to sound. Then you can get as detailed as
you wish. But built-in widgets are often the best to use and building your
own stuff will almost never be accessible.
This is why I am against HTML Canvas for most things!
So having a super simple one orientation is almost always the  best when
creating games.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>