[games_access] Making Websites and Web Content Marked for Proper Accessibility especially for screen readers

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 02:56:59 EDT 2016

There are dedicated web accessibility automated testing tools, such as Wave and Tenon. There isn't anything that can pick up all issues, for example no automated tool has the ability to know whether or not a piece of link text makes sense out of content (although they pick up commonly problematic links such as 'read more' and 'click here'), no way to know whether an alt attribute actually describes the image or not, no way of knowing whether a tab order is logical and so on, so you still need to do manual checking too.
Ideally it should be a combination of designing to guidelines, both manual and automated checking, and including people with a range of impairments in your testing. But even if all someone does is a quick pass with Wave, that'll still mean more accessibility issues fixed than no checking at all.