[games_access] Toolkits for making GL rendered content screen reader accessible?

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:09:43 EST 2017

Not at all unfortunately, games have more diverse ranges of typefaces and typography than most other media, which is an accessibility issue in itself, for people who have difficulty reading.. e.g. a tiny bespokely made ornate fantasy font in full caps.

It's something that could/should be done just a single time by the engine developer. That way it should just work like native iOS app development.. the UI accessibility mostly just works (e.g. the accidental blind accessibility here, just from having logically named UI elements), all that's left for game developers is just a bit of tweaking, which is a much more realistic ask than the current option of dumping your engine and starting again from scratch.

No articles about the BBC tests beyond a little bit that I wrote here -

http://ian-hamilton.com/screenreaders-and-game-engines/

It's just that simple of thing of one layer being CPU and one being GPU, which kills the idea due to the tiny bus width on mobiles. It's fine as a hacky workaround for games that have static visuals so can happily run at 2fps, but many games don't work with that.

Again things like that and TOLK are just hacky workarounds to try and substitute for work that game engines should have taken care of themselves, game engines are where the issue lies.

It isn't an issue that's unique to game development, you see the same thing anywhere where frameworks are used. But because there are a small range of popular ones in gamedev it would be very easy to make a difference, particularly as the vast majority of games that have a mechanic suited to screenreader accessibility are made in Unity anyway. Just Unity fixing it would make a staggering difference.

Ian