[Techtoolslist] James has been busy!

Martin White martin at guddler.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 05:54:21 EDT 2005

> By the way, can someone explain the difference between a fluke

> signature and

> a checksum? Sometimes my fluke reports a bad rom signature, but that

> doesn't necessarily mean the rom is bad does it?

> Matt

No. But it does mean that EITHER the rom, or the circuitry going to
or from the rom is bad. Pop the rom out, dump the rom, then use fluke
IDE to calculate the signature of that rom dump and make sure it's
what you were expecting. Then if it wasn't then the rom is bad, else
start looking at address and data buffers and chip selects and the like.

Martin.